Monday, July 26, 2010

A new beginning

For the last 5 years (time flies!), we have been attending Jordan Ridge Elementary. We really loved that school and had a great experience there. However, I felt it was time we returned to our neighborhood school. For my kids, I felt strongly that they needed to be among their ward/neighborhood friends. Not that my kids can't have friends outside of neighborhood and school boundaries, I just feel that once Jr.High and High School roll around, I want them to have good friendships that are easy for me to watch and be a part of. Not that education isn't important, I just feel strongly that friends can have a great impact on educational successes. As a parent we all try hard to make the best decision, but we never really know which way that choice will go. I hope the thought and prayer we've put into this move will serve my children well.

With that being said, there were a few extra butterflies on this first day of school. It's never easy being the "new kid" and Andrew and Sarah really had brave faces and positive attitudes today. I am proud of them for handling this change so well and I hope it continues to be a positive experience for them. I am thankful that there are some neighborhood children in their classes and I hope they will accept them into their circle of established school friends. After kindergarten testing, Jenna will have her "first day of school" next week (waahhhh...my baby!!!) There were so many things I loved about our previous school, but we are looking forward to becoming part this school's community.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Wow! I can't believe you guys are starting already. You gotta love year round school. We still have another month. I haven't even started buying school clothes yet. I bet you are so glad to be starting and done with all of that. Oh and darling pictures. What beautiful kids.

Shay Brackney said...

Kids are resiliant...they'll do just fine. I totally understand the change. I've thought of it many times as Kenzie is in school all the way up by Walmart...sometimes not being in a neighborhood school has presented it's challenges. All you can do is follow your heart and the Spirit, which I know you always do!